Thursday, July 07, 2005

Have You Seen My Education???

So I was riding BART when these two UC Berkeley students started to discuss the psychology course they were taking. They discussed Carl Jung a popular theorist in the psychology world and SSRI’s, which are drugs typically, used to treat mental disorders like depression. As I sat and eavesdropped I started to think of everything I had learned in college. For those of you who don’t know have a degree in Psychology. But as I tried to remember all that I had learned my mind kept coming up blink. I couldn’t remember one damn thing I had learned in college. I become very fidgety and sweat began to fill my brow. I could not believe it, here I am paying back thousand of dollars to Uncle Sam and I remember one fucking thing from any of my psychology classes. Social psychology, statistical method of psychology, biological method of psychology, hell even introduction to psychology all came up blank. How could this be? Why could I not remember any of the facts that I had spent so much time trying to learn/remember? I frantically search my mind for some form of answer. I received fair marks and I am not an idiot, what the hell is going on? And then I thought maybe the goal was not to remember all the terminology that I was forced to learn. Maybe the purpose of college was to give students life experience that they could take into the real world. The degree you earn in college is just a piece of paper that shows prospective employers that you were willing to take out a shitload of student loans just so you can demand that they pay you more money than the average person applying for a job. To date I have made enough money to pay off my student loans. It really too bad that the majority of that money was spent on clothes, haircuts and alcohol…thanks for everything Chico State!

5 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger megasaurus said...

i read your comment on my blog and i just wanted to let you know this is megan from high school, like from ms. burgess's dance class.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Lady_Sings_tha_blues said...

Meghan!!!

How the hell are you sweetness? I still remember that dance you did to Mississippi! It totally kicked ass!

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say that I completely agree with u about a degree just being a piece of paper. It is not like that for everyone, but for the average person such as myslef, it really is not worth much and I rarely remember anything. I did learn a lot of valuable life lessons though. So thanx alot CAU (although I still love my school)!

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a psychology major too and I was trying to remember what we learned abut Carl Jung when you mentioned it and gues what! I came up blank too! I wasted my education!

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so true, I am mad thinking about how much money I owe in student loans and have a job that doesn't even allow me to do what I have my degree in because I have to have a masters, sometimes I wonder what was the point of going to school, if I can't even get a job in the field. However like you mentioned it is an experience of life time, you get to meet different people from all walks of life, stay positive maybe you were thinking to hard, you may surprise yourself and start to remember things

Katrina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home